Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday

Stretching Beef
As everyone knows, beef has been/is expensive! I have developed a few ways of stretching beef that has not brought complaints from my family.
  1. Add rice to ground beef to make it go further--you could use this in all types of recipes that call for meat--I try to do about half and half.
  2. You can add beans and rice to the beef in mexican dishes. I like to do this and then freeze half of it for a crazy day.
  3. Italian beef. I sometimes will cook a beef roast and a pork roast (both bought on sale) together. Add: Beef broth from the freezer (I don't use the broth when I cook the two together because I'm not a fan of pork broth)--about 1-1/2 cups depending on the amount of meat, 1 tbsp each of italian seasoning, basil, and garlic, two tbsp minced onion, 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, 1 tsp. each salt and fennel. You can adjust herbs to your preference. Cook in crockpot on low all day.
  4. Mooing Pork. I basically will use the same recipe above with just a pork roast if I don't have a beef roast. It tastes a lot like italian beef. :o)

No comments: