Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Think on These Things Thursday...

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
I’ve been studying the kings of Israel and Judah in my devotions and then Wednesdays in church. Last night, we read about Hezekiah when the Assyrians were laying seige in Jerusalem and trying to take over Judah. The Assyrians had already conquered Israel and carried them away captive. Israel was a much larger place with many more people. The Assyrians greatly outnumbered the people of Judah! However, Hezekiah was a godly king and had led a great revival in Judah. Isreal, however, had basically turned their back on God and followed false gods.

Hezekiah said to the people in II Chronicles 32:7--Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him:

The Bible goes on to tell us that the angel of the Lord slew the Assyrians. As in ONE angel.

Also, I read this week the story of Elisha when the Syrians came to “fetch him”. His servant was most distressed and Elisha said in II Kings 6:16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.

Isn't it great to know that we have God and His warriors (angels) on our side. I want God and His army on my side. And He is! When we worry about our country or even difficulties in our lives, we need to picture the host of angels that are on our side and ready to do God's bidding and realize that there is nothing too big for God.

As I wrote last week, I have been on a "news fast" for the most part. My hubby has told me a couple of things and we've discussed some things at work. I don't find myself consumed with "what ifs" much anymore. I think there should be a healthy balance of staying informed about issues, but not allowing the news to consume our life. Really, there is very little we can control anyway. God is in control!

We do need to be informed about issues so that we can:

1. Better pray regarding them. Do Not underestimate the power of prayer!
2. Be informed voters
3. Write to our congressman
4. Talk intelligently about the issues. When you are misinformed and start discussing a topic, you lose all credibility if you have even a small amount of information incorrect.

I’ve decided I will read news articles and then research them farther if I am concerned to be better informed about the issue. I am not going to listen to political talk shows, however. They tend to be biased/more fear mongering. I am not saying that written articles are not biased, they just don’t talk about the same issue for hours on end to the point that you can see no way out! The key is not just listening or reading one point of view.

Most importantly, we need to remember that God is in control. Proverbs 21:1 The king‘s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

1 comment:

DealFinder said...

One of my verses that I whip out when needed: "God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." When I have fearful thoughts I know it's not God giving them to me. Satan and his minions want us Christians to be paralyzed with fear so that we don't pray or do those other things you mentioned.