Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Parents Most Important Job

This past month or so, my heart has been broken by the selfishness of adults in kids' lives. When did it become okay to put yourself first and kids last and no one seem to think anything of it? How is it okay for a parent to say that they are angry with their spouse because they "made" them have kids and they are tired of being a parent. When did "ME" time become so important that people consider it a badge of courage to say that they just had to have "ME" time and get away from the rest of the family. I'm not trying to say that it is always wrong to have some "ME" time, but isn't that for after the kids are in bed or they are off at a friends house or outside playing? "ME" time should be well after we have spent plenty of "WE" time with our family. This has challenged me to make sure that not only am I around for my kids, but also that I am "there" for them when they need/want to talk to me. It is so easy to get busy in the hustle and bustle of life that we shove those most important to us to the bottom of the "to do" list. We can do most things with our kids.

I try to ask myself, will this matter in eternity or will I look back at the end of my life and be proud that I made this decision? So often, we focus on how we feel at the moment instead of what is right. I know that it is not easy being a parent. We have to rely on God's strength and wisdom! If we don't at least try to do our best, though we will end up with many regrets in our life.

Below are the words of a song that I listen to at times to help me keep things in better perspective. It was written from a dad's perspective, but certainly can apply to either parent.
It was written by Mac Lynch:
"I've Just Got to be Successful"
I may never be as clever as the neighbor down the street;
I may never be as wealthy as some men that I may meet;
I may never have the glory that some other men have had,
But by grace to be succesful as my little fellows' dad.
There are certain dreams I cherish, that I'd like to see come true.
There are things taht I'd accomplish before my working time is through,
But the task my heart is set on, is to guide my little lads,
And by grace to be successful as my little fellows' dad.
I may never come to glory, I may never gather gold;
Men may count me as a failure when my working life is told;
But if they who follow after will ge godly, I'll be glad,
Cause I'll know I've been successful as my little fellows' dad.
It's the one job that I dream of, it's the task I think of most;
For if I fail my little fellows, I'd have nothing else ot boast.
For the wealth and fame I'd gather, all my future would be sad,
If I fail to be successful as my little fellow's dad.
Ps 127--Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward... Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them:

No comments: