Monday, May 4, 2009

Random brain cell firings...

Please excuse the ramblings...

As I posted on Friday, this has been an interesting couple of weeks. Friday brought three more "bad newses". This morning, I received a phone call from a friend who is in the hospital with kidney stones. I finally sat down and wrote down all the serious illness, tragedy, death, etc. that has happened near me and I counted thirteen instances! My mom always said that these things come in threes, it has been a bit much to deal with. I found myself cranky, with a near constant stomach ache, and just a basic feeling of being overwhelmed. Most of all, I was frustrated with myself for not being able to handle it all better! I would try to give it all to the Lord, but it was kind of hard to keep up with it all. I also find that I do better giving my own stuff to the Lord and trusting Him with my stuff than I do giving other people's difficulties to the Lord. I think part of my frustration is that there seems to be so little you can do for others going through hard times. I am a fixer and there are times that I simply can't fix someone's cancer, heal their kidney stones and ease the worries of no health insurance, etc. I guess really, I don't like to feel inadequate.

Isn't it amazing how there are thousands upon thousands of words in the English language, yet so few that you can say when someone is in crisis! I'm getting better at just telling people I'm thinking of them, praying for them, and PLEASE let me know what I can do to help! And then asking God to fill in the blanks. I also ask God to show me a verse for them.

Another delimna has been that I have rediscovered some of what is in my heart in what I have said to others because little things have really been bugging me and something comes out of my mouth and I'm like--why did I say that!!! The answer unfortunately is because I need to do some housecleaning in my heart!

We are having special meetings at church and the sermon last night was about the "clothes" we need to have on--from Colossians 3--meaning the attributes that we should/should not have in the Christian life. Last night, on the way home, I was still thinking about the sermon and realized that I've been excusing some of my behavior because, it's just too much, I'm only human, etc. However, God is in control and I need to remember that and get through this in HIS strength, not my own! I'm feeling less overwhelmed, God and I had a long talk yesterday afternoon and I've given these back to Him--now I need to leave them with Him!

Psalm 31:24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.

Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

P.S. My brain my still be processing things a little slow due to all the recent input, so please don't ask me any tough questions in the near future.

No comments: