Thursday, January 8, 2009

Lessons from Caleb

I've been reading in Joshua as part of my daily Bible reading. I was reminded of the steadfastness of Caleb.

Joshua 14:8 Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God. (Caleb speaking)
11 As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
12 Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the *Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said. *Anakims were giants.

How wonderful to be able to say that you wholly followed the Lord! Caleb and Joshua went with 10 other ment to spy on the land God has said they would conquer. They saw the land through the understanding that God was with them and able to defeat the enemy. The other 10 men saw the land through man's power and said it was impossible.
Caleb also continued to serve the Lord even when Joshua was made leader. He did not have a pity party becuase HE wanted to be in charge. Instead, he continued to serve the Lord. He is 85 in these verses and says that he is still as strong as he was 45 years ago. God blessed his faithfulness with good health and strength. Caleb did not lose his zeal to fight for the Lord, here at 85, he is asking for the mountain that has giants on it.
I'm sure that many of us have difficulties in our lives that seem like mountains, even with giants on them. Maybe a situation that seems impossible with people involved that are even more impossible. We can rest assured like Joshua and Caleb that God is stronger than any situation we face. He can help us to get through the tough times and will bless us for our faithfulness.

1 comment:

DealFinder said...

I am impressed by how Caleb didn't just relax and take it easy in his old age. He could have asked for a nice, relaxing piece of land to retire in, but he didn't!