Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our new family member!


Welcome Duke!

The search is over. God led us to a wonderfully sweet boxer. His name is Duke. On Monday, I was really discouraged with the whole dog hunt. The kids wrote "dog" or "puppy" on my grocery list 5 times on Saturday and even hubby seemed to be getting a little impatient! I hadn't received an e-mail back from the MN Boxer Rescue and had even e-mailed someone in North Branch who offered to meet us half way to meet their dog, then never e-mailed me back. (I got an e-mail today--he went to another home--he was older and they were unsure of his history before they got him 4 months ago.)
I was showing Mike a dog at the local pound and then happened to remember a boxer mix at a rescue to show him, so I went back to Craigs List and their was an add for a "Purebred Boxer, great with kids." There weren't any pictures, the ad said he was "rust colored" with black and white markings, so we were expecting a brindle which is kind of tiger striped, not our preference, but the couple were grandparents, had had him since he was a puppy and assured us that he was well mannered and LOVED people. We decided to drive to Cambridge (about 2 hours away) tonight. (I was going to wait until Saturday, but hubby volunteered that we could go tonight.) We walked in the door and immediately fell in love. He didn't bark or growl, just seemed excited to see us and gave the kids lots of kisses.
The gentleman we got him from said they got 26 phone calls for him! We were the first call. :o)
It was a little sad to take their dog. They are moving and can't take him with. I assured him he would have a loving home.

We are thankful God led us to the right dog. He also worked it out so the kids and Mike and I (in shifts) can be home with Duke tomorrow. We have some training to do. He is 1 1/2 years old. The pictures really don't do him justice!

4 comments:

BostonT said...

WELCOME to the family Duke! You look like a real cutie. (Mandy thinks your pretty cute, too.) I am so glad God answered our prayers. I know some people think it is silly to pray about a dog, but to me it just shows how much He cares about ALL aspects of our lives.
~Molly&Mandy

DealFinder said...

Yay! How exciting to have an answer to your prayers!

Anonymous said...

HEY DUKE WELCOME TO THE FAMILY. I AM SOOO HAPPY YOU ARE PART OF OUR FAMILY. DIXIE AND I WIL BE ANXIOUS TO MEET YOU. GRANNY

AmyG said...

Wow congrats!!!! I bet the kids are over the moon! I can't wait to hear what they have to say on Sunday.

I agree with your sis, Becky....I KNOW God cares about our pets. He has given us animals to love and care for...they are dependant upon us to meet their needs, just as we are to be dependant upon Him!

Have fun!