Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Substitutes for Cracker Crumbs

Kitchen Tip Tuesday
I generally try not to use a lot of cracker crumbs because they aren't very healthy, so I've experimented with healthier alternatives. These are also good if you are usually use crackers and run out. :o)

Some things that have worked well are:
  • Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (Gluten free, too!)
  • Whole wheat bread crumbs (the staler the better); you can also toast the bread, then make into crumbs
  • Wheat germ or Wheat bran (works well, but give the casserole a "wheaty taste")
  • Ground Flax Seed--doesn't absorb as much liquid, though. It works okay.

My hubby's favorite is the Rolled Oats.

For more great kitchen tips, visit Tammy's Recipes at: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/node/3277

1 comment:

mub said...

The oats are a neat idea! I've found whole wheat crackers that I like to use instead of regular saltines or butter crackers.