Thursday, March 26, 2009

Think on These Things Thursday...

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
On Thursdays, I want to start posting something for us to think on in our Christian walk. Trust me, these will be things that I need to think about and work on also!!!
It is so easy to get busy in life and to think about everything, BUT those things listed in the verse. It is easy to think about what is happening in our country, what is going to happen in the world, etc. It is also easy to think about things at work or our personal life or finances. Lately, I have found my mind consumed with our country and even worrying about it. I think that we should stay informed, but have decided that since I find myself thinking about it A LOT, I'm going to let my hubby, who is not a worrier let me know if there is something I should know about or write a congressman about. I am going on a news fast!
With it so easy to think on the things listed above, we need to purposefully think on the Bible and the things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, or of good report. I have found the following to be helpful:
  • Read your Bible, pick a verse or two to meditate on throughout the day. (If I am reading a passage that I don't find a verse to meditate on, I read through a chapter in Psalms or Proverbs until I find one.)
  • Memorize verses. I work on memorizing a passage every morning. (It is in a zip lock bag on my shower wall. :0)
  • Pray about situations.
  • Read godly literature on topics that interest you or that you want to work on.
  • Talk with a friend or have them hold you accountable.

1 comment:

DealFinder said...

Very good post and very timely, too! I've been dwelling in the depths of dread the last few days because of what's going on in our country and I would very much like to climb out!