Friday, March 20, 2009

Who is in Charge?

As you know, we've been looking for a new dog. It may not seem like a big deal, but you are making a commitment to live with this creature for many years, so we have been praying about finding the right dog and trying to be wise in our choice. A naughty dog is like having a naughty kid with sharp teeth!!! I had my eye on a handsome dog (Tazer) and had been e-mailing the foster mom back and forth and it seemed that we would be going to meet him on Saturday, but then she e-mailed me to basically say that she had two other people that she wanted to meet him first. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed and quite frankly want to be done with the dog search. I don't really want to think about it anymore, I just want to go home to happy kids and a happy, decently behaved dog! (I did try to talk the kids out of a dog, but they shot down that idea rather quickly and they honestly earned a dog in their care of the pugs we watched for 5 months and the messes they cleaned up!)

Anyway, sorry about the long story, but I was telling my friend about the dog situation and I said that if we were meant to get Tazer, he would still be available, otherwise, there was a better dog out there for us. She said that I am ever the optimist because she thinks that sometimes things that are meant to be don't really happen. This made me stop to think, because I don't really think of myself as an optimist. Really, I think that if Tazer is the right dog for us that God can make that happen.

Romans 8:28--And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. This doesn't mean that everything that happens to us is good, but that God is powerful enough to make good come out of even bad situations. We don't have to live our lives as optimists or pessimists, but as those who know that God is in control and working good in our lives. We just have to leave HIM in charge and put our trust in HIM. There will be times when we are disappointed, when tough times come, but we can look to Him for comfort and ask Him for wisdom and know that He has something good in store for us. I do realize that there may be times that sin (ours or others') "messes" up God's perfect plan for us, but we can go back to Him and He will help us to pick up the pieces and make the best of a bad situation. We can always learn and grow! We will grow much more beautiful if we leave Him in charge! Let Him be your Gardner, to help you grow into the beautiful Christian He wants you to be. Don't forget to let Him pull the weeds out, too! (Couldn't resist a garden reference since it is the first day of Spring) :o)

No comments: